Monday, August 31, 2015

Climbing as a Girl: Sometimes You're Not One of the Guys

Note: CoffeeTape has moved! Check out the new mobile-friendly site at coffeetapeclimb.com for new posts every Monday and ease of climbing withdrawal symptoms whenever you visit. 

“You’re a pretty girl who climbs; you shouldn’t have any trouble finding partners.”

You asked me to climb because you need a catch, right?
I’ve heard variations of that line more times than I care to keep track of, and I still don’t know how to respond. Do I take it as a compliment? The middle-aged man just called me pretty. But he did also just suggest, perhaps unintentionally, that the number one reason people will want to climb with me is that I’m a young, attractive female. Not what I’m going for.

Climbing remains a male-dominated sport. Yes, in recent years more women have taken to the cliffs and boulders, and some of them climb hard—V14, 5.14—and I do have some friends who are girls who climb. However, I have a lot more guy friends who climb, so I often find myself in a pack of boys—or occasionally 60-year-old men. I really don’t mind climbing with the bros, in fact it’s quite fun; my goal is to become one of them, so they don’t notice that I’m the only girl.

“Every time a guy asks for your number to go climbing, unless he has a girlfriend, he’s looking for something else too,” my friend told me the other day. Really? I have a hard time believing that. First of all, I’m not so narcissistic that I think every boy at the crag has his eye on me. I’m also not looking for anything more than a patient catch and maybe some pleasant conversation when I ask someone to climb. Occasionally I’m hoping that I can toprope some harder routes than I would normally lead, but a reach-in kiss or the dreaded harness grab on the pitch 3 belay ledge is not on my mind. I’m not asking for a date; I’m asking for a climbing partner. Isn't that what the guys I climb with are asking for too?

I’d really like to think that people want to climb with me because I’m a competent belayer who might even have a decent personality. I want to be a fun friend to lap routes at the crag with; someone who will have the patience to belay you while you suss out the beta for your next project. I wish that every time I climbed with a group of guys that the people around me simply assumed that I was friends with them, not dating one of them. No, I didn’t start climbing because my boyfriend brought me to Rumney as a fun date—I found toproping in the gym and then my University’s climbing team on my own. I’m not always the strongest climber of my crew, but please don’t assume that just because I’m a small female that I’ll be the weakest climber in the group.

So what can I make of all this? First, I don’t believe that all males at the crag want “something more” when they give me a catch. My friend Alec is one of my favorite climbing partners. He's always stoked whether we're climbing hard or messing around on V1s in Pawtuckaway, and he'd never seen me before he picked me up at my dorm for a morning bouldering session the first time we met. He's not "looking for anything" except a fun time on some rocks, which is pretty much guaranteed every time I climb with him. However, I am told that I’m often oblivious to those who do have other intentions.

Overall, my goal is to be one of the bros, hearing their girl stories instead of being in their girl stories. I want to get stronger (a little physically a lot mentally), so I can eventually project routes with them. I want to be an equal, one of the guys—or, better yet, just another climber.

7 comments:

  1. No, I don't consider myself to be one of these: http://movies.mxdwn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Troll-Dolls.jpg.
    Now about your statement "recognize that you're fortunate to participate in a mostly male sport" -- I really wish you'd worded that one differently. I like to think I'm fortunate to be able to climb because of the physical and mental benefits every outdoor experience gives me, not because a lot of guys happen to climb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My main training partner was a woman and she is crazy strong. Her "no bullshit, try hard or go home" mentality shaped me into the strong and dedicated climber I am today.

    I think that you are correct about the reason many climber bros will ask a girl to come climbing. But, I also think, from my perspective of spending all my free time climbing, that many dudes who do ask a girl for a catch are looking for a meaningful and, often, elusive relationship with someone who shares the same passion for the rock. Unfortunately, a guy's intentions are not always clear.

    Anyhow, I kind of rambled. Thank you for your thought provoking post. You've changed my approach and thought process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the post got you thinking, and I love that your main training partner is a crazy strong woman (I hope to grow up to be like her one day). I think the climbing world needs more strong female mentors and partners like that.

      I'm slightly encouraged by your second statement that climbers have intentions for meaningful longterm relationships, but I think that if we look at other climbers as potential friends first, then there would be a lot less pressure and uncomfortableness--And who knows, being good friends could turn into something more, and that's great! That's what happened with me and my boyfriend of over a year; after weeks of climbing and camping together with our friends, we started to get a little closer. But it began as just having fun in the outdoors, which, in my opinion, is what climbing is (mostly) about.

      Delete
  3. THIS! Thank you. I am a single, strong female sport climber who often hits the crag solo. On more than one occasion, when trying to find a catch, men reply with the whole "Oh, I have a girlfriend/wife" statement or otherwise make it known they aren't interested. It frustrates me to no end because I just want a belay, not a boyfriend. And screw them for assuming I'm into them anyways!

    I climb because I love it. And yes, it would be awesome to meet a climber who I was also romantically interested it is certainly not my priority.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just cringed a little when I read that people won't give you a belay because they're not single--what does go through some people's minds?! I do not know one woman who has started climbing to attract/find men. There are much easier ways of doing that (walking into a bar...) than climbing up cliffs.

      I hope you find many good belayers who are also nice people; I like to think that in general the climbing community is very open, accepting and friendly, but clearly we have things we need to work on too.

      Thank you for joining the conversation!

      Delete
  4. Biology is no excuse for a female climber having to "endure" the "cons" of a male-dominated sport. This is an important conversation, a well-written piece on what we face as female climbers. Your comment is a crass reminder that instead of improving upon this unsettling norm we face, we should "deal with what we have"- not the solution. This is the 21st century. Women climb hard, and will continue too. And we're going to damn well keep fighting for a space in this community where we are not only seen as equals, like the author said, but simply as other climbers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Impressive and powerful suggestion by the author of this blog are really helpful to me. Climbing Mont Blanc

    ReplyDelete